Monday, September 08, 2008

Old School

My keyboard at work is the keyboard from my first computer that I bought - a 386/20 from Northgate circa 1989. My keyboard at home is from an IBM PS/2 386SX Model 55 before MCA.

If you don't know what these are, go ask yer dad...

Question: why is the input device that is used most on a home or office desktop computer always the cheapest piece of shit that the company can get away with? If you value your input like I do, get one. They are still available as the Avant Prime keyboard.

Don't ask why I wrote this, I won't tell you. Just accept that you needed to know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a stack of old mainframe capacitor type keyboards that I thought I was going to keep for ever. They will not quit working. They can be used as an effective weapon as well. I thought I would never leave them. That is until I tried one of the new Apple keyboards. You owe it to your self to give on a good try.

Anonymous said...

just numbers and letters...

WheelDancer said...

I have to agree with David on the Apple keyboard but I know the keyboards of which you speak as I was already an old timer by the time that Northgate came into being. Heck I lost a couple support engineers to them...

Yokota Fritz said...

I type for a living and I've always made it a point to get good keyboards -- I can't stand cheap mushy ones.

rigtenzin said...

I've kept an old IBM keyboard that's as solid as oak. I could use it to defend myself if needed.

Soda spills kill keyboards.